Saturday, August 22, 2009

Durango and the Glider Ride

After getting some housekeeping chores out of the way, we spent the morning in Durango, ate lunch at a good Italian restaurant and shared Stone Cold Creamery Ice Cream with Georgia. We had an appointment with the glider folks at 3:00 and I was unnaturally calm as I was was strapped into the cockpit.
Lttle did I know what was in front of me!
The take off behind the tow plane was pleasant enough - a little bumby since it was on a grass runway, but not at all scarey. I was in the front of the plane with the pilot, Jon, directly behind me. The foot pedals and stick were functional in front of me, but I kept my hands and feet clear!

The tow plane quickly found a thermal and Jon instructed me to release the tow rope by pulling the red lever on the console. I did as instructe4d, the tow plane fell away immediately and we were gliding!
The flying was thrilling at first and I enjoyed viewing the Animas River Valley below. That was until Jon found the thermal updraft and started flying in a tight circle to ride it upward. WHEW! I later found out that MORNINGS are the best time to fly gliders - afternoons get rather bumpy and sloppy. NOW they tell me.
We circled upward, adding 1000 feet quickly to our altitude, with Jon continuing to ask me, "You all right, Darling?" To say I was dizzy was an understatement, but I refused to admit queasiness and even sang "God Bless America" with my happy co-pilot!
To say I was relieved when we headed for home is an understatement. The landing was a controlled crash, since a glider has only a wheel on its nose - no other landing gear. When the canopy was opened for me to disembark, I refused help getting out, but my legs were rubber and Jon commented that I looked at bit pale and would I like a glass of water. I nodded yes and collapsed into a lawn chair on their patio.
I will never fly in a glider again.
Mike laughed at me all the way home and is still laughing.
I will parachute with Merideth next.....

No comments:

Post a Comment